MUSIC PERFORMANCE & TECHNOLOGY
Designed by musicians, for musicians, our five Music Performance & Technology programs are built on a unique concept: to offer the complete range of industry knowledge required to take the art of performance to the professional level. With flexibility and space for personal style, students learn to perfect their business and music performance skills as they master the technologies and computer applications related to their major.
In the Music Performance & Technology programs, students will have access to the industry’s best and most influential music technologies as they work with exceptional instructors in the studio, on the stage and in the classroom.
It takes more than being a good player to succeed as a performer in today’s highly competitive talent market and knowing how to utilize current recording technologies to create your art is becoming increasingly important for today’s musicians and content creators. This educational break-through will allow passionate musicians to discover a myriad of opportunities and realize their personal creative ambitions.
All of our full-time diploma programs are approved vocational programs under the Private Career Colleges Act 2005.
If you have sincere enthusiasm, passion and ambition to succeed in the entertainment industry, you have what we are looking for in our students. In addition;
- You must have an OSSD or equivalent, or be a Qualified Mature Student.
- You must successfully complete an Academic Interview.
- You must successfully complete a Performance Audition on your major instrument.
- You must pay a $100.00, non-refundable audition fee.
- Your major-specific Music Performance & Technology Audition requirements can be obtained from your Admissions Counsellor.
1. Complete and submit the online application or contact us to request a fax or mail application. You can also complete the application with your Admissions Counsellor in person at Metalworks Institute.
2. An Admissions Counsellor will review your application and will contact you by phone and/or email to schedule your Performance Audition and Academic Interview.
3. The audition and interview are each approximately 30 minutes in length and are scheduled weekly throughout the year.
4. Upon completion of your Performance Audition and Interview, the Academics Department will review your results based on the professional opinion of the audition adjudicators.
5. You will be notified of your audition and interview results by your Admissions Counsellor. You will be informed of one of the following:
a) You have been accepted into the Music Performance & Technology Program
b) You have been accepted to the Waiting List for the Music Performance & Technology Program
c) You have not been accepted into the Music Performance & Technology Program
6. Successful applicants must complete the registration process within thirty days of their acceptance notification. Applicants failing to complete the process by this date will forfeit their acceptance and it will be offered to a suitable candidate on the waiting list for the program.
About the Performance Audition ($100.00 non-refundable Audition Fee)
Music Performance & Technology Audition and Interview Dates: Applicants will be assigned a date and time for a live performance audition and interview. Auditions and interviews are approximately 30 minutes in length and are typically scheduled on Mondays throughout the year. If for some reason you are unable to attend any of the scheduled dates, please contact our Admissions Department to determine if another time may be scheduled. Applicants will be sent an electronic copy outlining the specific audition requirements for their program of study.
Auditions typically include:
- A live performance of two contrasting pieces; one solo and one with recorded accompaniment.
- An evaluation of performance technique.
- A general listening test evaluating music related auditory skills.
- An evaluation of improvisational skills.
- A personal interview designed to assess your potential for success in the MPT Programs and to review your personal career aspirations.
Please contact your Admissions Counselor about the Audition Dates for the September 2017 Music Performance & Technology Programs. Auditions/Interviews are scheduled every Monday.
Music Performance & Technology Program Orientation Week
Orientation Week typically occurs one week before the scheduled start date of the Music Performance & Technology Programs. During this week, students will be introduced to Metalworks Institute’s facilities and staff, academic policies and procedures as well as their classmates and the Music Performance & Technology Faculty.
Admission to Metalworks Institute’s Music Performance & Technology Programs is based on the audition and interview results of prospective students. If you are not admitted to the program, it simply means that in the professional opinion of the audition adjudicators, another candidate’s potential was assessed to be at a higher level at this time. Applicants not accepted to the program are strongly encouraged to enroll in private music education in order to improve their skills and to re-apply or to speak with their Admissions Counsellor about other Metalworks Institute Programs and courses. We regret that we are unable to provide written copies of the audition adjudicator’s evaluations and comments.